State Department Advises Increased Caution
U.S. citizens asked to stay vigilant while abroad
-By Charles Givens
October 23, 2023
The U.S. State Department has issued a worldwide caution advisory for all Americans overseas due to increased tensions in various locations around the world, the potential for terrorist attacks, demonstrations, or violent actions against U.S. citizens and interests.
The department is advising U.S. citizens to exercise increased caution, especially in locations frequented by tourists. U.S. citizens should also enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive information and alerts and make it easier to locate those in emergency situations overseas.
Additionally, U.S. citizens should follow the verified social media pages of the Department of State for the latest updates on travel advisories and safety information.
The following are some specific tips for U.S. citizens overseas:
• Be aware of your surroundings and avoid large crowds and gatherings.
• Be careful about what information you share on social media.
• Keep your passport and other important documents safe and secure.
• Make copies of your important documents and leave them with a trusted friend or family member.
• Let your friends and family know your travel plans and check in with them regularly.
For more travel information, stay up to date with verified sources of information and check the State Department website at travel.state.gov.